Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Did Nehemiah skype?

Early this morning I was reading about the opposition that Nehemiah faced with his wall project.  Now, this opposition began long before the work really started.  It began when Sanballat (the Horonite) heard about Nehemiah's concern for Jerusalem.  According to  few articles that I found, Sanballat was a Samraitan and a leader of the Persian Empire (probably the Samaritan Governor).  So I guess he was informed about all-things political.  But still....

Nehemiah was in Susa and by my map, Jerusalem is a good 2.5 inches away.  That's least 800 miles as the crow flies, but more like 1300 miles as the camel walks.  If Sanballat was in Susa, then I can see how he would hear the news so quickly and try to shut Nehemiah down.  But...if Sanballat was in Samaria (just north of Jerusalem), how did he get the news about Nehemiah's plan so quickly? 

A little later in the morning, Dovie came in to ask if I wanted to say hi to our friend Mindy.  Mindy is in Cambodia right now, on a mission trip working to stop human trafficking.   We skyped.  I know what Mindy is doing right now.  I don't have to wait for someone to travel 8400 miles(approximately) to tell me what Mindy is up to.

Our world is really smaller than we think.  We can be in touch with people all around the world with just a click of a mouse.  Oh that I would have concern for my brothers and sisters in Christ like Nehemiah did.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm going to like this. I know i have walls that GOD wants me to take down.

    ReplyDelete