Friday, May 13, 2011

The Garden of Eden

This lesson may take two weeks....There are a lot of questions that I have about this story.  And maybe it's because I am a mom.  But, if you tell a child to not do something, that is the very first thing the child is going to do as soon as your back is turned!! 

Sometimes it's better to not even mention it.  Like leaving the soda in the garage refrigerator.  What are the chances that they will expend the energy to even walk out into the garage?  Your secret stash is almost guaranteed!  But then for some odd reason, they just happen to be looking for something and open the refrigerator door.  Jackpot!  They can't resist!

Paul talks about this same issue in Romans 7.  Struggling with sin...basically he says that knowing what sin is only makes the desire to sin stronger within us.  Why?...because that's human nature.  Romans7:15 says "For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate... I do." (Uuuugh!) Who will rescue me from this body of death? 

Fortunately, he gives us the answer in the next few verses.  8:2 says, "through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of Life has set me free from the law of sin and death."   (8:10) " But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.  And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you!"  I don't have to live by my human nature anymore!  I can chose to live by the Spirit!

And that is Good News!!

No comments:

Post a Comment